Blurb Psychology

Disclaimer: This post is not a tutorial on how to write blurbs or book descriptions. It only contains a reader's suggestions. 

So.. I'm back again to reader mode and this time, I wanna talk about blurbs or, as some people would call them, book descriptions. This blurb/description is the fancy few words or sentences at the back of your book (paperback) or next to it (ebook). Now, writing a blurb is no easy task for anyone who is not used to writing it. Because blurbs are not just words that describe your book, but they are also words that attract, trap and force your readers to buy your book with delight. That's why you must not only write a good blurb, but most importantly, one that fits the story you're describing. I remember the time when the Devil suggested to me to make my blurb more attractive by adding a little exaggeration. Good thing I told him to get behind me and kiss my ass otherwise I would have misled my readers and that would have made them dislike and distrust me. (God forbid, just to be safe). Nobody likes to be attracted by a flowery description and end up reading a grassy story. The author of such a story would be a samurai performing hara-kiri. 
Next, let's look at grammar, rhymes and catchy words/phrases. I know a lot of readers who love to see this in blurbs. They just want a spicy blurb. You can create your own idioms, use thought-provoking tautology, cheeky phrases, anything. You want to catch the reader's eye so you must set a juicy trap. It may not make sense, but just make sure it makes sense.. if you know what I mean. Now, talking of grammar, it's fine if you bend some rules. Come up with something unique and new or creative and reminiscent, but just make sure it strikes a chord in our hearts or minds or heads or wherever. It's your blurb, so do whatever you want. You're independent, right? Then go for it! Right now, I'm considering using a short poem as my WIP's blurb. And then I love to design and read blurbs that are not only strong and active, but also intellegent. For example, a blurb that seeks to inspire suspense and has rightly placed punctuation that further the cause. It would be boring to have a comma where I'm not supposed to take a breath which will reduce or even neutralize the building or already built suspense.

Lastly, let's look at length and complexity. As an avid reader, my honest opinion is that blurb length is almost irrelevant. How you utilize it is what's truly important. I've seen a blurb of only a few words in two sentences cause a major stir online. Those words stuck in my head for two days and only left when they wanted to. And I've also seen very long blurbs that make the Devil suggest the idea of stealing to me. Again, I tell him to get behind me and kiss my ass i... Ouch! Come on, man! I said kiss, not bite! 

Now, complexity. As a rule, your blurb must be simple and easy to understand at first read unless you like the idea of your book doing back flips and finally landing in the trash bin. Not literally of course. But seriously, nobody wants to read and re-read your blurb, trying hard to understand it like it's a physics assignment. We had enough in high school, thanks. But it must not also be too simple or it would feel like a book for kids with learning disabilities (all due respect to them). The idea of the blurb is to catch the reader's eye, nothing else. Whatever trick you have up your sleeve, it's fine. Just catch our eye is all we ask.

PS: I did not give examples because (like a blurbologist once said) it's different for each case. Take my advice, never try to copy/superpose a blurb's pattern/style. Been there, done that, fell hard.
Happy Blurb Writing!

Comments